Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Road Trip: What to Eat?

Road Trips: either you love them or you hate them. I fall into the "love them" category. I love seeing new places, taking in the scenery, and relaxing with music. Every time I take a road trip, though, I end up scrambling for something to eat! Sometimes it feels like the only things on the road are cheeseburgers, milkshakes, and, of course, gas station candy... and I'm not about to destroy my diet on those (hey, I'd much rather have a really rich dinner or gelato!)
So, what does one eat on a road trip?
I suggest planning ahead: I keep a flat of bottled waters in my car, bring a couple of apples, oranges, bananas, and Special K bars. Special K has these great cereal bars, protein snack bars, and protein meal bars. They taste like candy but keep you full so you don't cave and grab whatever's in sight.
If you have to stop, there are a few options. Gas stations usually have some fruit available (although the selection can get pretty sparse!) or you can just grab a bag of pretzels. As for McDonalds, avoid the Big Mac Wrap (ew), and grab a side salad, nonfat cappuccino, or snack sized parfait (160 calories, 2 g. fat). Subway is always a great option, and they're often along the interstate. You can even substitute chips for sliced apples or yogurt. It's filling, relatively cheap, and tasty (especially the veggie delight if you can't stand the salty meats).
Choose one of these options, pack healthy snacks from home, or stop at grocery stores along the way and bag fresh salads, and you can shift your focus from "what to eat" to having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment