Thursday, July 12, 2012

Kale Chips: A Guilt Free Crunch?

The other day, I was waiting for the same old green juice (kale, spinach, cucumber, lemon) and wandered over to the Kale display at Earthbar.

Now, I love those crunchy seaweed snacks you can get for 99 cents, and have heard a ton about kale chips, so thought, why not?

They had all kinds of crazy flavors, including a chocolate option, but you know my stance on treats. (If you're gonna have a treat, have a freaking good treat. Chocolate kale? Kinda sounds gross and not worth the extra fat, cals, and carbs.) I ended up with two bags: Lydia's Organics Kale Krunchies Mega Green and Buffalo Bill's buffalo wing flavored Cowboy Kale Chips.

The verdict? The buffalo wing flavored chips were really gross, but I liked that the bag had a zip top for freshness. Lydia's were pretty okay. The top didn't seal, though, so you might be in for a mess... I went around a curve and green crumbs spilled across my seat. The store also didn't have any options that were just kale, so the foreign flavors may have been what I didn't like about them. And at $8 a bag, totally not worth it.

So, store bought kale chips? Not such a success, but I am totally excited to pick up some kale on my next trip to the farmers market and try making simple chips with a little salt and evoo. They can't be so popular for no reason, right? Any suggestions to make them better?

No comments:

Post a Comment